We work with brand owners at all stages of the branding process, to identify, protect and enforce the rights in their brand, an important step in safeguarding the value of their businesses.
Building up a strong brand naturally includes the exploitation of it. We offer comprehensive legal services for all aspects of commercial exploitation of intellectual property, including handling our clients' trade mark portfolios and advising on the acquisition or disposal of rights in brands.
Ringfencing and exploiting rights
Our Intellectual Property Team advises a range of businesses from SMEs to major corporate entities on their global brand protection strategy. The team provides the following services:
- advice about registrability of potential trade marks
- clearance searches
- prosecuting trade mark applications at the UK, Community and International registries
- watching services
- oppositions and cancellation proceedings in the registries
- trade mark renewals
- portfolio management including consolidating registered rights and corporate restructuring to transfer registered rights into dedicated holding companies
- commercial agreements for the licensing of brand rights including franchising distribution and manufacture.
IP enforcement and dispute resolution
There is no point in ring-fencing brand and trade mark rights without enforcing them. Our specialist IP dispute resolution team acts on behalf of clients to enforce their rights or defend them in all types of intellectual property disputes, including branding.