Lorna is a partner in our Private Client Team and advises a wide range of clients including business proprietors, entrepreneurs and landowners on tax and estate succession strategies. Lorna specialises in complex estate administration for business and farming families, including those with multijurisdictional assets, heritage property and related trusts. Lorna has particular expertise in Inheritance Tax mitigation post death maximising claims for Inheritance Tax reliefs on land, property and other assets through negotiations with HM Revenue and Customs. She also advises trustees on all aspects of trust law and the administration and restructuring of family trusts to mitigate tax.
Prior to joining Birketts Lorna trained at an East Anglian firm specialising in commercial and agricultural work and worked in the highly regarded private client department of a large London city firm.
Lorna is based at our Norwich office.
- Advising a landowning family on a full restructure of the ownership of land and buildings with development potential to mitigate tax on death; creating a new partnership and dovetailed wills.
- Advising trustees of a landed estate on strategies to reduce their tax exposure to 10 year tax charges.
- Administering the estate of a landowner; advising the executors and implementing a tax saving trust structure in the deceased’s will.
- Advising trustees on heritage property issues.
- Advising a farming family on the restructure of an old agricultural tenancy to improve the inheritance tax position on death.
- Negotiating successful outcomes with HMRC in a deceased’s estate on the availability of agricultural property relief on a listed mansion and business property relief on a large property portfolio.
- Advising a company director on how to structure a gift of shares into trust to ensure Entrepreneurs Relief on a subsequent sale.
- Advising clients on succession planning relating to international assets, domicile and residence issues.